WHAT IS VIRTUAL EARTH JAM?
Starting in 2004, the Nurtur Aveda Institutes have put on an annual fashion benefit as a vehicle for our students to showcase their talents and passion in a themed event that raises money for local charities. In this time of distance learning and social distancing, we’ve reimagined Earth Jam as a virtual event in an effort to continue offering unique and experiential learning opportunities for our students.
Every student at each location will be required to participate in Phase 1 of the event. In Phase 1 you will be asked to create a vision board showcasing a full hair, makeup and fashion concept inspired by the Ayurvedic Element of your choice. The top 20 entries from each Institute will advance to Phase 2, where the finalists will form teams of 2-4 to execute their vision on a live model. The top 5 entries from each Institute will advance to Phase 3, where they will receive a professional photoshoot. During the Virtual Earth Jam, the top entry from each Institute will be announced. The five top entries will be judge by a panel of beauty industry professionals and the winner will receive a $2,000 scholarship for each team member. The top 5 will also automatically be entered as a finalist for their Institute’s competition for the NAHA photo shoot. See detailed information on each phase below.
Photos by Keith Bryce
WHAT IS THE THEME?
For the 2021 Virtual Earth Jam, you will be interpreting the traditional Ayurvedic elements of Earth, Wind, Fire, Water and Infinity.
Often called Ether, Infinity conjures space or a vast openness. Infinity means having a cavity with freedom to move. The qualities of infinity element are clear, light, subtle, and immeasurable. Infinity is related with various actions like expansion, vibration, non-resistance.
Wind is the great element that shows a sense of movement. Vayu or wind initiates & directs motion or movement. Air element keeps the body in constant motion. Wind element is mobile, dry, light, cold and subtle in nature. Its main action is to do any kind of movement.
All various forms of transformation including digestion of food are carried out by fire element. Fire element is hot, sharp, light, dry and subtle. Various functions carried out by this element are penetration, digestion of food, and transformation of thoughts, intelligence and perception of light.
Whenever we think of water qualities like liquidity or fluidity comes to our mind. Water shows important quality of binding – e.g. if we see dry soil, we cannot make a ball out of it. But if we add water to the soil, then we can easily make mud balls. This binding nature helps in forming different structures in the body as it binds the 2 cells together. Hence this element is a constructive force. The water element exhibits qualities like cool, liquid, dull soft, and sliminess. Its main actions are cohesiveness and adhesiveness.
Earth is solid, dense, and very hard. It is related to all solid and hard structures that show shape – e.g. bones, muscles, teeth and nails. The Earth element is responsible for giving structure, shape and strength to the body. Qualities of earth element are heavy, dull, dense hard and gross.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE?
Virtual Earth Jam will consist of three phases in which students will compete for the opportunity for a professional photoshoot of their look for their portfolio and to represent their Institute in the live virtual event on June 15, 2021.
- Each student is required to participate individually
- Choose your element: Earth, Fire, Water, Wind, or Infinity
- Create a vision board of hair, makeup and fashion inspired by the element that you choose
- Vision Board can be digital file, poster board, google document etc.
- Must include: Written statement on why you chose the element and how it inspired your concept
- Each Institute will choose the top 20 students to advance to next phase
- Submissions due April 19th and the top 20 for each location will be announced on April 20th
- The top 20 students chosen from each campus will form teams of 2-4 students to create a look
- Teams will need to recruit their own model for the look
- Teams will complete all makeup, hair and clothing for their look
- All materials used for clothing and accessories must be “upcycled”
- Take photos of your look (front, back, side, full body)
- Submission must include:
- Photos of your look
- Why you chose your look (hair/makeup)
- What materials you chose to use for clothing
- Submission to be sent to leadership on each campus:
- Los Angeles – Julia LoVetere, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Columbus – Jesse Sullivan, email@example.com
- Indianapolis – Stephanie Huntsman, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chapel Hill – Jake Ivins, email@example.com
- Cincinnati – Taylor Fultz, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The top 5 groups from each location will advance to Phase 3 where they will receive a professional photoshoot
- The top 5 groups will be due on May 7th and the announced on May 10th
- The top 5 entries from each location will receive a professional photoshoot of their look for their portfolio
- Winners from each location will have up to $25 Budget to enhance look
- Photoshoots will be scheduled between May 21st and May 28th
- Teams will have time blocked out together once per week to work on your look
- Mentors help with executing color formulas
- The Institute will provide Color, Makeup and Products for Models
- The top entry from each school will be announced at Virtual Earth Jam on June 15th
- On June 15, 2021, we will hold a live event for you to invite all of your friends, family and support group for the premier of the final edited looks from their photoshoots
- A highlight video of the top entry of each location will be shown with the first look at the final images from the photoshoot.
- With the premier of each group, all members will be recognized and the team leader will be asked to speak live about their inspiration and the work they have done.
- For the finale, a winner will be chosen from the top 5 entries to receive a $2,000 scholarship for each of its members